How do I set up International Roaming?
International Roaming lets you use your mobile for calls, text and data while you're travelling overseas.
Check out our main International Roaming page for everything you need to know about activating, rates and roaming data packs.
Before you go
- Check the rates for the country you're visiting - Roaming is NOT included in your plan.
- Activate Roaming in My Account or the App.
- Switch Roaming on in your phone.
- Check your phone is compatible (some older phones may not work with some overseas carriers).
- Roaming is not available for Broadband or Prepaid services.
Rates & Charges
Roaming is not included in your plan so any usage will be shown as 'Excluded Usage'. There are different roaming rates for different countries, you can check all the rates here.
If you do use your phone overseas, you'll be charged for:
- Receiving and making calls
- Checking Voicemail
- Receiving Voicemail messages
- Data UsageSending SMS
- Sending & receiving MMS (data usage)
You won't be charged for:
- Receiving SMS
- Messages from Virgin Mobile.
There may be a delay in charges showing on your account as they are sent from overseas carriers, the maximum delay could be up to 3 months, which means you can't rely on your Credit Limit kicking in and suspending your account to prevent extra usage. SMS's on your bill will be displayed from our message center number: 61411990010 or 61411990001 and voicemails as 61411000212.
Check rates now
Switching roaming on / off
In My Account
- Log in to My Account
- Click on Manage Services in the left menu
- Click International Roaming
- Click the toggle to the On or Off position
In the App
- Go to Settings
- Tap International Roaming
- Swipe the toggle to the On or Off position
Over the phone
We also offer an automated free call service to turn off International Roaming. Simply call +61 2 8861 0588 and follow the prompts.
While you're overseas
- Use the My Account App to keep track of your usage and charges
- Get a Roaming Data Pack to save on Data charges in Zone 1 countries.
- Don't forget to turn on cellular data / data roaming in your phone settings
- We will send you SMS alerts for every estimated $100 spent on data usage.
- If you purchase a roaming Data Pack you will receive alerts as you use 50%, 85% and 100% of your allowance.
To access voicemail while roaming, simply dial +61411000212 and follow the prompts. However voicemail is not free while roaming, it will cost the same as making a call from the country you are in at the time. You will also need your voicemail PIN to access your voicemail while roaming, so make sure you have it handy.
If unconditional diversions are set, the call stays in Australia and goes directly to Voicemail. This means you are only charged the standard Voicemail diversion cost. Conditional call diversions to Voicemail (such as no answer or busy) will incur charges as they still route through the overseas network. To cancel all diversions, before you leave Australia, enter #002# on your phone then hit the call button. Visit this page for info on setting up your diversions again on your return to Australia.
How to use your phone overseas
|Make a national call
- Enter area code
- Enter the local number
|Make an international call
- Dial '+' or the international access code '00'
- Enter the country code for the country you are calling
- Enter the number including the area code (if the number begins with a 0 then remove it).
|Send an international SMS
- Dial '+'
- Enter the country code for the country you are sending the SMS to
- Enter the number minus the 0 at the front
|Listen to voicemail
- Just call +61411000212
|Calling a number that is roaming
Callers from Australia just dial the mobile number as if the roaming number is in Australia.
Callers from overseas still need to call the number as if it's still in Australia - even if it's in the same country.
Overseas callers must use the country code for Australia when dialling an Australian mobile number.
What to do if you need help
Sometimes roaming doesn’t work straight away so here are a few things to try if you’re having trouble:
- Confirm roaming is switched on either in My Account or through the App.
- If the carrier you’re connected to has no service, try a manual network selection and choose a different network.
- For data roaming issues confirm Cellular Data / Data Roaming is switched on in your phone.
- Contact us if you're still having trouble
Back Soon Plan
Not looking to roam? If you are not in a commitment, you can move onto our $10 Back Soon Plan while you’re away. This will let you keep your number and ensures you have the service when you return. Contact us here to arrange this or find out more before you board that plane/ship!