How do I transfer my contacts?
Transferring your contacts to your new phone is easier than you think. The actual process will vary from phone to phone so follow the appropriate guide below.
iPhone to iPhone via iCloud
- On your old iPhone go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
- Turn on iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Wait until the backup finishes. This can take sometime depending on how much data needs to be transferred and how fast your internet connection is.
- When the backup finishes, turn on your new iPhone, follow the prompts on screen to setup the language, location services and WiFi.
- When prompted select Choose Restore from iCloud Backup. Tap Next.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Choose the backup of your old iPhone and tap Restore.
iPhone to iPhone via iTunes
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes, also make sure your old iPhone has the latest iOS installed.
- Connect your old iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and select backup.
- Once the backup has completed, unplug your old iPhone.
- Turn on your new iPhone and follow the prompts on screen to setup the language, location services and WiFi.
- When prompted, select Restore from iTunes Backup.
- Connect your new iPhone to your computer.
- iTunes will ask you to restore from backup or set up as new. Select the backup of your old iPhone and click Continue.
- When the restore finishes, your device will restart and your contacts as well as any other content you have chosen will be available on the new iPhone.
- For further assistance we recommend visiting Apple's support page.
Android to Android
Your contacts automatically sync when you first turn on your new phone and login to your Google account.
If you do not have a Google account, create one. Then on your old phone go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account. Once added your phone contacts will automatically sync to your Google account.
iPhone to Android
Use iTunes to sync your contacts to your Google account.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Your iPhone will appear in iTunes. Click on the iPhone to open the device’s summary page
- Click the Info tab.
- Place a checkmark beside “Sync Contacts With” and select “Google Contacts” from the drop-down menu.
- Input your Google account and password, if you haven’t done so yet previously. Or, you can click Configure to change a previously set Google account.
- Click Apply. iTunes will then sync the existing contacts from your iPhone to your Google account.
- If you haven’t registered your Google account on your Android phone yet, add your Google account in Settings > Accounts.
- Allow your Google account to sync your contacts to your Android phone.
Android to iPhone via Google/Gmail Account
- Ensure your Android phone is synced with your Google/Gmail account. If you have not done this before, on your Android phone go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account. Once added your phone contacts will automatically sync to your Google account.
- On your iPhone tap Settings.
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add your Gmail account.
- Toggle the Contacts option to On. You should now find that all of your Google contacts are in your iPhone.
Provided your Android phone and new iPhone take the same sized SIM card then you can just swap SIMs.
- Transfer the contacts on your Android phone to the SIM card (not all phones will have this option, refer to your phones manual to see if this is possible).
- Insert the SIM card into your new iPhone.
- Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM Contacts.
To transfer contacts on phones not listed above, please refer to the manufacturer's guide.